If decorating your custom home is in your New Year’s plans, here’s what the design editors at House Beautiful predict everyone will love in 2016. After scouring the best in the industry, their predictions for interior design trends include a little of this and a little of that and some that will send you to the attic to recycle treasures that you’ve loved in the past!
1. The “Glamily” Room: What’s an immaculate aesthete to do with a dog around — or a Doritos-loving tween? Let her living room go? Hardly! Turn to hardworking-yet-fabulous fabrics paired with sexy silhouettes.
2. Monthly Clubs: It’s decor at your door! And will make you count the hours ’til mail drop. Click here to see House Beautiful’s favorites resources.
3. Boutique Showrooms: Indie upstarts are the newest sources for designer textiles.
4. Bed Linens With Pizzazz: This year, we’re taking a hiatus from plain white sheets thanks to Bailey McCarthy’s Biscuit, which puts dozens of covetable patterns in play — all made in the U.S. of A.
5. Pretty Pendants: We love our chandeliers, but 2016 is the year of the statement pendant.
6. Perky Pedestals: Another star, ideal for your sparest corners: The tall, handsome pedestal, primed to exhibit a sculpture, a plant, or even the house cat (who likely considers himself worthy of it anyway).
7. The Return of the Desk: The honeymoon period for working on your laptop in bed is officially over. In 2016, we’re reserving the bedroom for more important things!
8. Traditional Tableware: Consider this a doting note to grandmothers everywhere: You were right. Gravy boats and footed bowls are necessary members of the tablescape — especially now, with their au courant edge.
9. A Matcha Moment: Green juice is so 2015. We’re sipping on the elixir of 11th-century Japanese Zen priests: antioxidant-rich matcha green tea, with a ceremonial brewing process (and cool tools) that feels Zen in itself.
10. Mixed metals: Platinum, gold, copper, steel — as long as they’ve got metallic sheen, they go together in our book. It’s bling like you’ve never seen before.
11. Fabric Wall Art: Attention, all designers: Robert Allen is paper-backing almost all of its textiles for a flat fee, from silks to damasks.
12. Design-Trepreneurs: A new rising trend is designers by day who pursue other passions with equal verve, from custom accessory lines to movie-set styling. Click here for a rundown of new designers to watch in 2016.
13. A Delft Touch: The pottery of choice from 17th-century Holland is every bit as coveted today, thanks to its charming depictions of country life — forever preserved in inky blues and soft whites.
14. Better Sleep: Blackout curtains and lavender sachets get you only so far. And while this San Francisco bedroom is super serene, there are a few things (other than a calming atmosphere) you can do to maximize your zzzs, like opt for pillows technologically designed to do the best possible job.15. Guatemalan Fabrics: Textile gurus often find muses in indigenous artisans the world over and collaborate to great effect. Trending presently is Guatemala, where colorful weaving has been part of the fabric of Mayan life for thousands of wildly vivid years.
16. Consignment Now: In lieu of life after Craigslist, here are three websites to help you buy and sell furniture and accessories worry-free:
Viyet – Luxury furniture and accessories from Knoll, Holly Hunt, and more at up to 80 percent off retail — with white-glove delivery.
Chairish – A highly curated treasure trove of 65,000 vintage and new finds — all of which ship to the continental U.S., with two-day returns.
At Pioneer West Homes, the leading custom home builder in Southern Colorado, Colorado, we love great interior design trends as much as we love great design trends in the homes we build. To read the entire article on these trends, visit HouseBeautiful.com.
About Pioneer West Homes: The only home builder in Southern Colorado to commit to building 100% of our Colorado Custom Homes to the Energy Star Version 3 Standard, Pioneer West Homes is celebrating our 10th anniversary of building trendsetting and energy efficient custom homes in Colorado and New Mexico. Pioneer West Homes is the recipient of numerous Parade of Homes awards from the Pueblo Association of Homes Builders and the Housing and Building Association of Colorado Springs.